Data Loss is one of the biggest problems that cause around 70% of businesses to shut down within a year. Hence, keeping data secure in a single place is not a good idea. The risk of cyberattack, theft, damage, power outage, etc., can cause you to lose data within a few minutes or seconds.
Therefore, having an Odoo data backup is always a safer option for any business to thrive and sustain in the long run. Also, taking backup whenever needed and restoring it as per need is something that every business owner requires.
What is Data Backup?
Data backup is the process of data copying from a primary location to a secondary one to protect it in case of disaster, malware/virus attack, accident, etc. In modern organizations, data is the backbone, and losing data can cause immense damage to business operations. Hence, backing up data is crucial for business growth.
Noteworthy Concepts of Data Backup
Backup Tools and Solutions
Manual data backup is possible. However, most organizations prefer a technology solution that ensures system data are backed up regularly and consistently.
Odoo Company ? Read More
Backup Schedule and Scope
Every business or organization needs a backup policy to specify which files and systems are necessary for backup and how often they should back up data.
Recovery Point Objective refers to the amount of data a company is willing to lose if a disaster hits and is defined by the backup frequency. Suppose a system is backed up once per day; in this scenario, the RPO is 24 hours. The lesser the RPO, the more computing, network resources, and data storage you would need to achieve frequent backups.
Recovery Time Objective
RTO means the time taken by a business or organization to restore data or systems from the backup and resume normal operations. Recovery becomes difficult when large volumes of data are stored off-premises. Also, it will take time to restore this backup. Hence, a robust solution is required to ensure low RTO.
Why Do You Need To Back Up Data?
In any organization, large or small, you need to back up data from time to time to keep every necessary data safe and secure. For a better understanding, let’s find out the main reasons why you need your Odoo Data Backup.
- The most legit reason for Odoo data backup is to secure all the necessary files in case of Hardware or software corruption or failure.
- You need a data backup in offsite or remote storage because a disaster can strike anytime, which can cause system failure instantly, leaving you with nothing.
- Database size keeps increasing with time, and at some point, it becomes challenging to store it in a single place. But, when you are in an eCommerce business you can let go of your data. Hence, Data backup is a reliable source to safeguard all your data and avoid website lagging.
- Creating Odoo data backup allows you to withhold customers’ information which can further be used for research or reaching out to them. Your Stakeholders can’t check the whole database they need a summarized report, which helps them comprehend the business profitability. It also aids you to create business stats, which you can present to investors to give them a clear idea about business growth, revenue, sales, etc.
- One of the most common reasons for new business failure is even a Database backup. Hence, having Odoo Database backup offers you supremacy over competitors.
- You can perform a comparative study with the database backup. Assess employee performance, business profitability, operation management, and many more.
Different Odoo Data Backup Format
Every data can be backed up in two distinct formats:
- Zip (With Filestore)
- Pg_Dump format (without filestore)
The zip option generates a zip file along with filestore, dump.sql, and manifest.json.
The dump.sql file mainly contains all the data (Postgresql backup). It has all the static files stored on disks, such as images or attachments. However, the Odoo version, list of modules, database name, Postgresql version, and many more can be located in the manifest.json file.
Installation Process of Odoo Database Backup
- Once you purchase the App from the Webkul store, you will receive the link to download the zip file of the module.
- Extract the file on your system after the download finishes. You will be able to see a folder named- ‘wk_backup_restore.’
- Copy and paste this folder inside your Odoo Add-Ons path.
- Now, open the Odoo App and click on the Settings menu. Here, click on Activate the Developer Mode.
- Then, open the Apps menu and click on ‘Update Modules List.’
- In the search bar, remove all the filters and search ‘wk_backup_restore.’
- You will be able to see the module in the search result. Click on ‘Install’ to install it.
How to Restore a Database in Odoo
Before moving to the Data Restore part, let’s know how you create an Odoo database backup. And what will be the requirements to create an Odoo Data backup?
For creating a database backup, you need an aggregator such as Odoo Database Backup that is free to use. All you have to do is, deploy it on your Odoo.sh or download and install it in your Odoo instance.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The Odoo Database Backup module only allows you to create the process for backing up your Odoo data. For restoring a backup, you need to follow the step mentioned in the ‘Process of Restoring Data,’ which is a manual process and not part of the module.
Process of Creating a Database Backup
1. Log in to your Odoo instance and go to ‘Backup Operations> Backup Process,’ under it, click ‘Create.’
2. On the page, define the following options:
Frequency cycle- Here, define how often you want to back up your database.
Backup Starting Time- Select the data from which you want the database to be backed up. On selecting the data, it will automatically pick the current time.
Storage Path- In this, specify the storage path where you want your database backup to be saved. This path should be valid, or else the backup will be lost.
Database Name- The data will be backup in .zip format, so keep the name simple, so you can easily remember it. For instance, wk_backup_restore.
Backup Location- This will be a predefined field with set criteria as a ‘Local’ if you have downloaded or deployed it on Odoo.sh.
Master Password- Enter your Odoo master password in this field or you won’t be able to restore your backup. The master password is a must, without it, you will not be able to restore your database.
Once done, click the ‘Save’ button.
3. After creating the backup process, click the ‘Confirm’ button to start the Odoo data backup process.
4. If you want to stop a backup process, the ‘Cancel Process’ button will let you do so.
5. The Backup details section will show all the backup records. Download it for further use. Also, every backup log entry will commence and be recorded in the ‘Backup Details’ section.
Process of Restoring Database
6. To restore the database, open the ‘Database Manager’ (URL+ web/database/manager). After that, select the ‘Restore Database’ option. For example, https://www.webkul.com/web/database/manager.
7. In the popup, enter the ‘Master Password,’ then enter the database name you have entered while creating the backup process. Choose the file from the selected path while creating a backup.
Choose from the available options:
- This database is a Copy- Select this option if you want to restore a copy of the existing database.
- This Database was Moved- Choose this option if the original database is moved or deleted and you want to restore the backup from scratch.
In this digital world, data backup is a necessity. It allows businesses and organizations to keep their data sound and secure. But along with knowing Odoo data backup, data restoration is also vital. Also, you can’t back up data on your own. You require an aggregator to provide the data backup service or module, which you can use to restore data in your Odoo.
Still, if you have any doubts or queries regarding the same, then connect with us at [email protected] or Create A Ticket Here.
Please further explore our Odoo Development Services & an exquisite range of quality Odoo Apps.
I hope you find the blog helpful, do let us know in the comment how much it helped you.